Your browser does not streaming audio.
Year of Faith
Renovados en el regalo de la fe
“VERBUM MITTITUR SPIRANS AMOREM”
Catholic Schools Celebrate Opening of School YearCatholic Schools in the Rio Grande Valley will celebrate the opening of the school year with a Mass at 9 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 29 at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church in McAllen. During the Mass, Bishop Daniel E. Flores will commission approximately 426 teachers and support staff from twelve Catholic schools who are committing themselves to the goals and values of Catholic Education.
Following the Mass, Superintendent of Schools Sister Cynthia A. Mello of Sisters of St. Dorothy will present service pins in recognition of school staff members who have completed five, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 years of service in the Catholic schools of the Diocese of Brownsville.
Guest speaker Dr. Carole Eipers will speak at the in-service following the Mass. Dr. Eipers is currently executive director of Catechetic for William H. Sadlier Inc.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Brownsville: Immaculate Conception School, Rio Grande City; Our Lady of Sorrows School, McAllen; Oratory Academy of St. Philip Neri, Pharr; St. Joseph School, Edinburg; St. Anthony School, Harlingen; St. Luke School, St. Mary’s School, Incarnate Word Academy, and St. Joseph Academy, Guadalupe Regional Middle School, Brownsville, San Martin de Porres School, Weslaco, Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic School, Mission, and Juan Diego Academy, Mission.
Deacons’ Day, September 13The Diocese of Brownsville Office of Permanent Deacons is hosting “Deacons’ Day” at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 13 with a Mass at Saint Margaret Mary Parish in Pharr. The Mass will be presided by Bishop Daniel E. Flores. It will be followed by lunch at the parish hall. The faithful of the Rio Grande Valley are encouraged to pray for the deacons and their families. Priests are invited to concelebrate and stay for lunch. Please RSVP and bring alb and white stole. To RSVP send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or (956) 784-5007.
Post Abortion Retreat Offers HealingRachel’s Vineyard, a post abortion retreat for those who still suffer with emotional and spiritual pain of a past abortion, is scheduled Sept. 19-21 at the Benedictine Monastery of the Good Shepherd (six miles northwest of Rio Grande City). The retreat begins at 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 19 and concludes at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 21.
The registration fee is $135 per person. However, no one will be turned away. Please let organizers know if assistance is needed for the fee. The fee includes room for two nights, all meals, and materials.
The group size is limited. For more information or to register call Phyllis Young at (956) 541-2720 or (956) 639-4144 email: email@example.com. All inquiries are confidential.
Prince of Peace Church Needs OrganIf your parish or business are able to donate an organ that is not being used Prince of Peace Church in Lyford is in need of an organ. To donate or for additional information call (956) 347-3580.
Latest priests’ appointments:Effective May 22, 2014▪ Rev. Francisco J. Solis, appointed member of the Ad Hoc Committee for Diocesan Insurance, retaining all other assignments
Effective June 18, 2014
▪ Rev. Amador Garza, appointed Bishop’s Liaison to the Retired Priests retaining all other assignments
Effective July 7, 2014
▪ Rev. Daniel Herve Oyama, assigned in residence at the rectory of San Pedro Mission in San Pedro and will assist with weekend Masses and help with confessions; relived of his responsibilities at Saint Joseph Parish in Brownsville.
Effective July 9, 2014▪ Rev. Jose Gualberto Cruz, appointed Parochial Vicar of Good Shepherd Parish in Brownsville and relieved of his responsibilities at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine in San Juan
▪ Rev. Francois Tsanga, SCJ, appointed Assistant to the Rector of the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine in San Juan and relieved of his responsibilities as Chaplain at the McAllen Hospitals and weekend ministry at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in McAllen
Effective July 11, 2014
▪ Rev. Jose Garza, appointed Parochial Vicar of Saint Joseph the Worker Parish in McAllen
Effective July 15, 2014
▪ Rev. Paul Roman, F.S.S.P., assigned in residence at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in McAllen
Effective July 16, 2014
▪ Rev. Alejandro F. Flores, appointed Director of Pro-Life, retaining all other assignments
Effective August 1, 2014
▪ Rev. Marco Antonio Reynoso, appointed Parochial Vicar of Sacred Heart Parish in Elsa and its missions Christ the King in Monte Alto and Holy Cross Catechetical Center and relieved of his responsibilities at Immaculate Conception Parish in Rio Grande City, Chaplain for the Serra Club No. 812 and Campus Ministry Chaplain for South Texas College in Starr County
▪ Rev. Juan Manuel Salazar, appointed Parochial Vicar of Immaculate Conception Parish in Rio Grande City, while continuing as Diocesan Promoter of Vocations and relieved of his responsibilities at Sacred Heart Parish in Elsa
▪ Rev. Manoj Kumar Nayak, SS.CC., appointed Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in Edinburg and its mission Capilla de San Jose in Lull
▪ Rev. Christopher Santangelo, SS.CC., appointed Parochial Vicar of Sacred Heart Parish in Edinburg and its mission Capilla de San Jose in Lull
Effective August 7, 2014
▪ Rev. Andres Everardo Gutierrez, appointed Parochial Vicar of Saint Luke Parish in Brownsville and relieving him of his responsibilities at Saint Joseph the Worker Parish in McAllen
▪ Rev. Manuel Alfredo Razo, appointed Parochial Vicar of Saint Paul the Apostle Parish in Rio Grande City and Campus Ministry Chaplain for South Texas College in Starr County and relieved of his responsibilities at Saint Luke Parish and as Spiritual Director for Legion of Mary – Brownsville Curia
Effective August 15, 2014
▪ Rev. Ernesto Magallon, appointed Parish Administrator of Saint Margaret Mary Parish in Pharr and relived of his responsibilities at Saint Theresa of the Infant Jesus Parish in Edcouch
Benedictine Monastery Hosts Ora et Labora Discernment Days Have you wondered about living the Consecrated Life and are single, between the ages of 18-50? If so, you are welcome to experience monastic life at the Benedictine Monastery near the Starr County airport on Aug. 29-31. Father Salazar with us on Saturday morning. Father Salazar is one of the assistant vocation directors in the diocese. Please call (956) 486-2680 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no fee to attend.
Full Diocesan Calendar >>
CDOB Mobile App
Catholic Diocese of Brownsville1910 University Boulevard • Brownsville, Texas 78520 • (956) 542-2501 • (956) 542-6751 Fax 700 North Virgen de San Juan Blvd • San Juan, Texas 78589 • (956) 781-5323 • (956) 784-5081 Fax Contact Us Copyright © 2014 Diocese of Brownsville. All Rights Reserved.